Code Enforcement


The City's Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for ensuring land use activities and structures comply with the minimum standards set forth by City ordinance. This involves:
  • Responding to citizen complaints
  • Routine surveillance
  • Staff investigations
In the vast majority of cases, voluntary compliance is achieved without a hearing before the Code Enforcement Board.

Common Violations

The most common violations involve:
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Animal complaints
  • Illegal signs
  • License and permit violations
  • Overgrowth
  • Right-of-way violations

How are Code Enforcement Services provided?

A citizen may call Code Enforcement at 727-724-1555 (ext. 1705) to report a violation. You may also register a complaint online. The code enforcement representative will take the name of the caller and the location and nature of the violation. An officer will conduct an inspection. If it is determined that a violation exists, the officer will attempt to gain compliance voluntarily. If the property does not come into compliance, a notice of violation will be issued specifying a date certain for the problem to be corrected. When that time is passed, the property is reinspected. If the violation has not been corrected, the matter will be referred to the Code Enforcement Board for hearing. You may also check on the status of a previously reported violation by contacting City Hall.

I received a notice from the City Code Enforcement Officer for violating one of the City Ordinances. I don't feel I was given enough time to correct the violation. What should I do?

Call or visit the Code Enforcement Officer at City Hall located at 750 Main Street before the deadline has passed and discuss the circumstances with the officer. Based upon the circumstances, the deadline may be reestablished.

Who do I call to report an accumulation of trash or junk?

If the trash or garbage is located on the City right of way or street, call the Department of Public Works at 727-724-1550. If it is on private property, it is the responsibility of the owner to remove it. Code Enforcement will inspect the property when it receives such complaints.

Is there an ordinance against putting signs on the city right-of-way?

The only signs allowed on city rights-of-way are official city signs or regulatory signs. A-Frame (Sandwich Board) signs may be allowed with a temporary use permit from the city. All other signs in the right-of-way may be removed and disposed of by city personnel. This includes political advertising and real estate signs.

I have an older car I want to fix up. Am I allowed to store it on my property?

If it is operative and has a current license plate it may be parked in your driveway. If it cannot be driven or is untagged, it must be parked in the garage.

What constitutes an overgrown lot?

The city requires that grass or weeds on lots not exceed twelve inches in height (this does not apply to land on which the natural vegetation has not been removed).

Where can I park my vehicles?

In residential districts, vehicles are encouraged to park on the driveway or in the garage or carport. Please do not park on your front lawn.

Can I keep my recreational vehicle and boat on my property?

RVs and boats stored on private property are restricted based on the size of the recreational vehicle and the size of the lot on which it is placed. View the brochure (PDF) illustrating the city's restrictions.

More FAQs

View more Code Enforcement FAQs.